Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Dipping my toe into wrappy waters

Around 8 months A started to get really heavy and I found the Connecta a little diggy on my shoulders during longer walks. I'd been reading about woven wraps on forums and wanted to see what all the hype was about.

So I picked myself up a 2nd hand Storchenweige Inka off eBay. In all honesty, I was a little underwhelmed. The fabric felt thick and heavy. The colours looked dull in real life. Back carries reduced us to a sweaty, stroppy heap.
Storch Inka 6
However, I persisted with a basic front carry (FWCC/Front Wrap Cross Carry) and pretty soon I started to notice how comfortable it was, and how even in the worst teething bouts, the feeling of being swaddled tightly to my chest while we paced the streets would calm her down. Slowly, slowly, I was converted.

Feeling that it was too weighty for summer temperatures, I then bought a bamboo/cotton blend wrap from polish brand Lenny Lamb. Much thinner, cooler and easier to wrap with, it really got us going but again, the colours just didn't live up to the photos.
Lenny Lamb Desert Rose 6 (Bamboo/Cotton)
It was around this time I discovered Facebook buy/sell/trade groups and watching them the realisation that I could try new things for little or no loss dawned. As a result the slings came thick and fast, my poor postie probably deserved a raise, so I'll keep my future descriptions brief!

No comments:

Post a Comment